Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

What I've Learned Over the Last 29 Years

I turned 29 a few weeks ago.

I do not feel any different. I do not feel wiser. I'm not sure I feel 29. Is there a specific feeling? I am pretty sure I don't feel 29.

Well, at very least I don't act 29.

I digress. I am not a super smart person. I have no real expertise to speak of. I could not write a book about my vast knowledge in any particular subject. I could fill a book with what I do not know.

Or maybe not. If I don't know what I don't know, how would I know what I don't know that I don't know.

My head hurts. And, I digress once more.

All of that nonsense aside... I've learned some things.

I've learned that having children can make you superstitious. My mom has always taught us to "never say never". Now I know why. What feels like forever ago I said that Maleah "never has a hard time going to bed and staying there".

Stupid. I claim full responsibility for her sleeping problems.

I have also learned that trusting people is essential to being happy. However, that trust does have an expiration date. Otherwise you're a doormat.

"Hi there doormat".
"My name is Bob".
"It was... let me explain while I wipe my shoes on you".
"Well, ok... I will let you do that this one last time".

And... we're back.

I have also learned that the word "friend" is a difficult word to define. No, this is not directed at you. No, not you... Yes, you. Its not about you. Anyhow, friendship is like a flower... If you water it and take care of it it may thrive. It also may die for no reason that you can figure out.... sometimes flowers can get too much water.

I've learned that being married is a give and take gig. I was going to make a joke about it, but I know better.

Its about compromise... It's about loving someone beyond the butterflies... It's about working on your marriage and not relying on the "lovey dovey" feeling to carry you through.

NEWS ALERT: Life is not easy. You cannot expect it to be. If you expect things to be handed to you, you are going to be waiting awhile.

That was hard... I wanted to make a joke about the government there... I refrained.

Lastly, I've learned that anything worth doing will get done eventually. Family comes first. That 2 foot grass will still be there in a few days from now. Those clothes can sit in the hamper tonight. I want to spend time with my family.

Maleah wants to play with her dollhouse.

Alex is cooing trying to get our attention.

Miranda is patiently waiting for me to finish this blog post.

Only the last thing is actually happening at the moment.

This is drawing on too long. Conversations and the wind are similar... both can change at a moment's notice... and both can just be a lot of air smacking you in the face.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/25/2009

    Very good blog. Covered a lot and it wasn't all wrapped up together at the end. But it was thought provoking. I just turned 39 and there was no special feeling to it either - just the dread of being so close to old (40) But as my sister says (a cancer survivor) age does not matter ---be thankful to just be alive and at the end of the day make sure you lived that day and didn't just exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke9/25/2009

    What have I learned about you in the past 21 years i've been here?....simply put, you're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete