Pages

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

He's Not Who I Thought He Was

Miranda directed me to an article on Fox News about an interview on ABC's Nightline with President Bush. Miranda and myself have been part of the minority in still backing Pres. Bush in his time in office. The approval rating is now around 28%. It may dip more after the aforementioned interview starts to spread.

In this interview Bush states that he does not believe in a literal translation of the Bible, that evolution exists along side creation, and that though God was with him, He didn't make his decisions, "George W. Bush did".

He was asked if the Bible should be translated literally and he replied, "You know. Probably not. ... No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it, but I do think that the New Testament for example is ... has got ... You know, the important lesson is God sent a son".

Wow, so basically he says it is a good story book. That makes me sick. Our President has been touted as a man of faith; we've been tricked and lied to all of these years.

He continued (unfortunately) by saying, "It is hard for me to justify or prove the mystery of the Almighty in my life. All I can just tell you is that I got back into religion and I quit drinking shortly thereafter and I asked for help. ... I was a one-step program guy."

So his "religion" not his faith helped him stop drinking. That's cool Anyhow, you can read the full article here.

Am I being unfair? The President does have to be accepting of all religions, right? My problem is that Gov Bush of eight years ago is much different than Pres Bush now. At least in his words. Did he pander to the Christians after all? Here is his response to a question asked in a debate before the 2000 election:

QUESTIONER: What political philosopher or thinker do you most identify with and why?

GOV. GEORGE W. BUSH: Christ, because He changed my heart.

QUESTIONER: I think that the viewer would like to know more on how He has changed your heart.

GOV. GEORGE W. BUSH: Well, if they don't know it is going to be hard to explain. When you turn your heart and your life over to Christ, when you accept Christ as the savior, it changes your heart, it changes your life, and that's what happened to me.

Gov. Bush seemed much more focus on his faith than Pres. Bush seems to be today. Could he have been trying to get votes? Or, was it really a change that happened to him, but his time in office shifted his views? No one knows but GW and God. Either way, I'm closer to the disapproval of him as our President than I've ever been.

Pray for President-elect Obama to have the country's interest at heart. Maybe he will surprise his critics, maybe he won't. You don't have to agree with him; just lift him up to God in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment