Pages

Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Starbucks World

I was at Kroger cashing in some change at the Coin-Star for Miranda today. I noticed the Starbucks about 15 feet away. That got me thinking about "You've Got Mail". Miranda and I love that movie and can and have watched it many times. There was a great quote about Starbucks in that movie from Tom Hanks to Meg Ryan (in an email):

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what they're doing or who on earth they are, can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!"

Miranda and I are horrible decision-makers. Make us decide what we want to do or what we want to eat in 60 seconds and we'd have a meltdown. Not sure why we are that way. We have no ability to make decisions - even in a Starbucks world. Giving us more options doesn't make it easier; it just makes it that much more difficult to choose!

What does this have to do with anything? I'm not completely sure. I think I was heading in the direction of choices we make on a daily basis - even when we don't realize we're making them.

We choose to get up in the morning. We choose to go to work or school. We choose what/when/where to eat. We make many mundane choices in the course of a day. Some choices are much more important than others.

The most important choice we make is whether or not to believe in God and accept Jesus as the payment of our sins. As Pastor Burris always says, "Not making a decision is making a decision". No matter what my choices are in the course of a day and no matter how difficult they are this was the easiest decision I've ever made.

In a Starbucks world we all have the "power of choice". Choose wisely. Not choosing the right coffee might lead to an evening of heartburn; not choosing to serve Christ can lead to a lifetime of heartache. Make that an eternity of heartache.

Oh, and by the way...I hate Starbucks coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment