Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

#BadHairDay - Going From Great to Bad to Great Again

FEATURE FRIDAY


It is a relatively small office that I work in. On an average day I might see 15 people for just a few minutes. 

Making coffee as part of the normal morning routine. A woman walks in and I enthusiastically say,

"Good morning!" 

She smiles back and emphatically says, "Good morning!"

Clearly just seeing me smiling made her day.  I will change the world one person at a time. 

A few other folks came across the ray of sunshine that is typing to you right now.  They too, smiled and said hello.  

I really do have this whole "living" thing down.  This will be a great day.  Quick pit-stop at the restroom before starting my quest to conquer everything that is laid before me.

I take a quick glance in the mirror. 
The picture in this blog post gives no justice to just how bad my hair looked.  I don't have much hair so when it looks bad, it is BAD.  I washed my hair.  I dried my hair with a towel.

I did not comb my hair. AT ALL.

Of course my mind replays the entire morning and count how many people saw me like this: at least five, maybe six. Then my brain does the typical brain thing.

Enter the Swirling Vortex of Self-Deprecation.

My mind starts to replay everything from the morning and now cast a black shadow over it all. They were not happy to see ME. They were happy to see me looking stupid.  If only the self-deprecation could stop at this one event.

That's the bad thing about a vortex.  It does not pick and choose what it destroys; everything is fair game.

Pretty soon everything that I've done wrong over the last week replays itself.  The last month joins the vortex party.  Select items from the last year join in too.  I'm never alone in discovering these horrible memories about myself.  There's always a voice that says to me at that point, "You're worthless".  I begin to believe the lies being told to me by satan.

I begin to submit to the lies. I start searching for other things I've done wrong to add as well.  Then the moment of clarity comes.

Another voice sweetly whispers, "You do not have to do this. You are worth so much more".

We cannot control our circumstance, but can choose how we react to it.  How we choose to proceed at this moment is of utmost importance  One of two choices appear in the midst of the Swirling Vortex of Self-Deprecation.

1. Let the Vortex consume us and ignore the loving words of our Savior.
2. Blow that sucker up.

The choice was mine.  I prayed that He would take this from me.  I thanked God for never leaving me... and we pressed the button together.

KA-BOOM!

Christ conquered sin on the cross.  We cannot save ourselves, but we can take claim of the greatest victory in all of human history. We did not personally defeat satan, but we can share in the celebration!

We do not have to live in shame.  We are not the defeated.  We are the victors.  HE personally created you to be uniquely you.  Satan will look for an "in" by any means possible.

Are you in a Swirling Vortex of Self-Deprecation? Blow that sucker up.

34 “Be on guard, so that your hearts will not be weighted down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of life, and that day will not come on you suddenly like a trap; 35 for it will come upon all those who dwell on the face of all the earth. 36 But keep on the alert at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are about to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.” LUKE 21:34-36


1 comment:

  1. Miranda Speakman3/20/2015

    You make me smile :) It's something you have to constantly remind me of too :) Thanks for the scripture :) I wrote it down!!

    ReplyDelete