Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

$50

Yesterday I filled up Miranda's SUV with gas. The cost? $50. Fifty. Five-Zero. I never thought that would happen.

I've always been one to not pay any attention to pump prices because it just didn't matter to me. Nothing I could do about it so I just payed it and went on my way. This, however, caught my attention.

When I first started driving I was paying around $1 per gallon. I could fill up for $10-$15. That was in 1998. Just 10 years later the cost has more than tripled. By this time next year we may see $4 per gallon.

There's nothing we can do. Or, is there?

Here's a few things we can do to help us with the spike in cost:

* Keep tires inflated and watch accelerating too quickly
* Drive less whenever possible
* Make one trip instead of 2 or 3 in a day
* Look for ways to save in other areas of your life

In all honesty, we will see the prices come down if we could all drive a little less. For some (like me) that's not an option. Anyhow, I thought I'd share this frustration and some insight.

3 comments:

  1. Gas prices today are $3.65!!! Maybe this time tomorrow we'll see &4.00!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/01/2008

    The other say on the news they said that gas prices could reach over $4.00 a gallon at the peak of the summer traveling season!!! They also estimated that by years end we could see gas around $5.00 a gallon!! People are going to have to get a part time job on the side just to pay for gas! Then there is groceries at an all time high too! When will we ever catch a break??????

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I just got gas for $3.58/gal. Never should that be a good thing, but it is.

    I'm sure the $5.00 by the end of the year is accurate. The food prices will go down if the gas prices would. We're completely dependent upon gas prices for our economy right now.

    Oil companies are having record profits, and the local gas stations are making 1-3 cents per gallon - they're losing when you pay at the pump. They rely on you to come in and buy things; which if the prices go up on food you won't be doing anyhow.

    Smaller gas companies will soon have to close up shop which will only open the door for a monopoly of the market. That will then cause gas prices to climb at a even faster rate and food prices follow.

    ReplyDelete