Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fade to Darkness

As many of you know, my wife Miranda has her own blog at made4worship.blogspot.com. She made a post today and I am going to steal something from it...better yet, I'll borrow it. :)
It was the following scripture on her post from today:

Romans 12:2 “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

Miranda and I were discussing going outside at night. I'll admit it. I'm afraid. If I go outside after 9PM by myself I usually am not out there for long. I had to let mom and dad's dog out the night before last and it was a little unsettling.

I asked her why she thought I was so scared to be out there. Her answer was dead on. It is the darkness. There is no telling what is out there. I can't see what chooses not to be seen. Things are hidden in the shadows. Many evil things happen at night. Most crimes don't happen in broad daylight; they happen under the cover a blanket of darkness.

It has happened so many times. I'll be outside in the evening cleaning up, doing some quick yard work, etc. It is light when I go out, but by the time I'm done it is pitch black. I don't realize it right away. Once I notice I always ponder over the fact why it doesn't creep me out then.

It happens that way all of the time with Christians. We'll be out - not outside - but out in the world. We try not to get to involved, but the world pulls us in. Pretty soon, before we realize it, we're covered in darkness. What was once scary to us is now all around us, but we're desensitized to it all. We're no longer just in the world, but we're now of the world. "Slow Fade" by Casting Crowns depicts this very well.

We cannot conform to the world and its wicked ways, but to the teachings of Jesus. Enjoy the blessings from this world that God has given us, but know that they are not our own. God wants us to be happy, but He also wants our joy to be in Him, not the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment