Pages

Monday, April 23, 2007

Sweetly Broken

About a month ago I sang at a Sunday evening service at our church. I sang Sweetly Broken by Jeremy Riddle. I have really liked that song from the first time I listened to it. I liked the melody, the sound, and the message. I liked the message, but I did not understand it.

There's an old saying that says, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I know that God feels the same way. Unless we're broken He will not "fix" us. Through a little Bible reading and a Charles Stanley podcast I started to understand what it meant to be broken.

Most people might not think that a Christian should ever give up, throw in the towel, or raise the white flag of defeat. Failure is not a pretty word; but failure is a pertinent word. We must fail in what we are trying to accomplish - on our own. Anything that we do on our own is worthless. It is useless. It is just not good enough; nor is it supposed to be good enough.

We must be broken to the very core of ourselves. The old way of "going it alone" need to be thrown out. We must be able to admit once and for all... I cannot do it by myself.

That is like music to God's ears.

Once we have wholeheartedly admitted to the failure in self, we can begin to have victory in God. This is so far from cliche that cliche would need to take three separate airplanes to get here. This is the Gospel Truth. Literally.

I have not been fully broken. I am still working on it. However, I have already noticed a change in my heart. When I have given control to Him I less out-of-control. Such an odd concept, but it works. When we feel like we have no control over our life that just means we have that much control that we need to give to Him.

I am starting a new saying, "If it needs fixed, it needs broken".

Here are the words to Sweetly Broken:
To the cross I look,
to the cross I cling
Of its suffering I do drink
Of its work I do sing
For on it my Savior
both bruised and crushed
Showed that God is love
And God is just

Chorus:
At the cross You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees,
and I am Lost for words, so lost in love,
I’m sweetly broken, wholly surrendered

What a priceless gift,
undeserved life
Have I been given
Through Christ crucified
You’ve called me out of death
You’ve called me into life
And I was under Your wrath
Now through the cross I’m reconciled

In awe of the cross I must confess
How wondrous Your redeeming love
and How great is Your faithfulness

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord that only He can make it so simple for us. By surrendering to Him are we truly free. I praise you Lord that it's not all up to me. I have no control. For that I truly am thankful.

    ReplyDelete