Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Under Construction

He's still working on me.


I really don't like construction. 


Before you comment or even think it... I know. Without construction on our roadways we would be in a world of hurt. Our commutes would take longer, our cars would need more repairs, etc.

I still don't like it.

No one likes being delayed. We're trying to get somewhere on time - work, doctor's appointment - and there's a delay. We feel frustrated and feel that the inconvenience is unacceptable.

A road I take to work every day was under construction for several months last year.  It was a constant source of frustration for me... and it seemed like it went on forever.

I felt differently about the work once it was complete.  It was now a four lane road that allowed me to shave a few minutes off my drive time every day; to and from work.  It was difficult to look beyond the work being done to see the finished product.

We used to sing a song called "He's Still Working on Me" in Sunday School when I was a little guy.  The funny thing is that I never fully understood it until I became an adult. The subtle teaching in that song will stick with me for the rest of my life.

Sometimes we don't like the way our life is going.  We don't appreciate interruptions to the plan that we have made for our lives. However, God has a different plan.

His plan looks beyond the current mess we are in.  His plan ignores our comfort zone.  His plan goes beyond what our minds can conceive.  It took Him less than a week to create our entire universe, but we are a more complex project than that.  It will take our entire lifetime to see the finished project, but He can already see what we'll become... so He keeps working on us.

I'm so far from where I should be as a Christian... as a husband... as a father... but He's still working on me.


CHORUS
He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.
It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,
The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.


VERSE 1
There really ought to be a sign upon the heart,
Don't judge it yet, there's an unfinished part.
But I'll be perfect just according to His plan
Fashioned by the Master's loving hands.


VERSE 2
In the mirror of His Word reflections that I see
Make me wonder why He never gave up on me.
He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray
Remember He's the Potter, I'm the clay.

1 comment:

  1. So true...it's hard to realize that we ARE unfinished projects...and praise the Lord for that! Where I am is NOT where I want to be!

    ReplyDelete